WATCH ABOVE: The bodies another 74 people who died when Malaysia Airlines MH17 was shot down over Ukraine arrived in the Netherlands , where forensic experts are working to identify the victims. Shirlee Engel reports from Amsterdam.
KHARKIV, Ukraine – Two military aircraft carrying remains of victims from the Malaysian plane disaster departed for the Netherlands Thursday, while Australian and Dutch diplomats joined to promote a plan for a U.N. team to secure the crash scene which has been controlled by pro-Russian rebels.
All 298 people aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 – most of them Dutch citizens – were killed when the plane was shot down on July 17. U.S. officials say the Boeing 777 was probably shot down by a missile, most likely by accident.
WATCH: Grim task of identifying victims of Malaysian crash underway. Global News’ Shirlee Engel reports.
Story continues below
Flight MH17: Victims’ bodies arrive in Netherlands; black boxes delivered to investigators
Flight MH17: US gives no evidence of direct Russian involvement
Flight MH17: EU imposes new sanctions against Russian officials
Flight MH17: Crash victim’s father pens heartbreaking open letter
Flight MH17: Rebels release train carrying bodies, hand over black boxes
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who says he fears some remains will never be recovered unless security is tightened, has proposed a multinational force mounted by countries such as Australia, the Netherlands and Malaysia that lost citizens in the disaster.
READ MORE: Emotional photos and videos from MH17 day of mourning in Netherlands
To that end, Abbott said Thursday he had dispatched 50 police officers to London to be ready to join any organization which may result.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop was travelling with her Dutch counterpart Frans Timmermans to Kyiv to seek an agreement with the Ukraine government to allow international police to secure the wreckage, Abbott said.
A numbered coffin carried by Dutch military personnel contains an unidentified body from the crash of MH17 on July 23, 2014 at Eindhoven airport, Netherlands. Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images
A numbered coffin carried by Dutch military personnel contains an unidentified body from the crash of MH17 on July 23, 2014 at Eindhoven airport, Netherlands.
Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images
Details including which countries would contribute and whether officers would be armed and protected by international troops were yet to be agreed, Abbott said.
On Monday, the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a resolution proposed by Australia demanding that rebels co-operate with an independent investigation and allow all remaining bodies to be recovered.
The first bodies remains arrived in the Netherlands on Wednesday and were met by Dutch King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima and hundreds of relatives.
Ukraine’s government said 51 containers of bodies and body parts had been cleared for Thursday’s flights. At least 200 bodies were aboard the train that brought them from the crash site to Kharkiv earlier this week.
Dutch police spokesman Ed Kraszewski told The Associated Press that a team of 25 forensic experts and dozens of support staff began working to identify remains Wednesday evening at a military barracks on the outskirts of the central city of Hilversum.
WATCH: The first 40 bodies from the downed Malaysia Airlines plane began to arrive in the Netherlands, the country where Flight MH17 originated. Dutch officials are taking on the painstaking task of identifying the victims. Shirlee Engel reports.
READ MORE: US gives no evidence of direct Russian involvement
Staff will “examine the bodies, describe the bodies, take dental information, DNA and put all the information together in the computer and compare this information with the information they gathered from the families in the last days,” Kraszewski said in a telephone interview. “Then we have to see if there is a match.”
Meanwhile, police and traffic authorities appealed to the public not to stop on the highway as a convoy of hearses passes by Thursday on its way from Eindhoven Air Base to Hilversum.
On Wednesday, the convoy of hearses passed through roads lined with thousands of members of the public, who applauded, threw flowers or stood in silence as the cars drove by.
The Dutch Foreign Ministry said Thursday that the number of Dutch victims had risen by one to 194, taking into account a woman with joint German and Dutch nationalities who earlier had been listed as German.
Senior U.S. intelligence officials said Tuesday that Russia was responsible for “creating the conditions” that led to the crash, but offered no evidence of direct Russian government involvement.
The officials said the plane was likely shot down by an SA-11 surface-to-air missile fired by Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine. The U.S. officials cited intercepts, satellite photos and social media postings by separatists, some of which have been authenticated by U.S. experts.
WATCH: A makeshift memorial to the victims of the Malaysia Airlines MH17 disaster is growing at the Amsterdam International Airport.
Russia on Thursday brushed off the accusations. Deputy Defence Minister Anatoly Antonov said in a video statement that if the U.S. officials indeed had the proof the plane shot down by a missile launched from the rebel-held territory, “how come they have not been made public?”
Pro-Russian rebels and Ukrainian government troops have been fighting for more than three months, leaving at least 400 dead and displacing tens of thousands.
Ukrainian forces are trying to ride the momentum of taking the strategic city Slovyansk on July 5 which was in rebel hands for more than two months. Government forces are now closing in on Donetsk, where insurgents regrouped after leaving Slovyansk, and are trying to cut off supply routes to rebels based in the neighbouring Luhansk region.
Nataliya Vasilyeva in Moscow, Lucian Kim in Donetsk, Mike Corder in The Hague, Netherlands, and Rod McGurk in Canberra, Australia, contributed to this report.