Month: August 2019

California man, 80, says he shot burglar despite pregnancy plea – National

WATCH: 80-year-old Tom Greer defends shooting a pregnant intruder in his house.

LONG BEACH, Calif. – An 80-year-old man who came home to find two burglars says he shot and killed one of them despite her pleas that she was pregnant, but it’s her alleged accomplice who has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Police said they would present their case to prosecutors Friday but were uncertain whether to recommend charges against Tom Greer, who told a television station he shot the fleeing woman in the back.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

“She says, ‘Don’t shoot me, I’m pregnant – I’m going to have a baby,’ and I shot her anyway,” Greer told KNBC-TV outside his house.

“The lady didn’t run as fast as the man, so I shot her in the back twice,” Greer told the TV station.

Long Beach police Chief Jim McDonnell said at a news conference Thursday that 28-year-old Andrea Miller did not appear to be pregnant, but an autopsy would determine whether she was.

The surviving suspect, Gus Adams, 26, was arrested on suspicion of residential burglary and murder. The murder charge is possible because he is accused of being involved in a felony that led to a death, the chief said.

READ MORE: Homeowner charged in Michigan porch shooting death of Renisha McBride

Both Miller and Adams, who had histories of similar crimes, were unarmed, McDonnell said.

Greer had been burglarized three times before and believed the same suspects were responsible.

He said both suspects hit him with their fists and ultimately “body slamming” him to the floor, breaking his collar bone, McDonnell said.

READ MORE: Detroit teenager shot to death on porch while seeking help after accident

Greer managed to get to another room where he grabbed a gun and opened fire. He chased the suspects outside, where he shot Miller.

McDonnell would not say whether Miller was shot in the back as Greer said.

Under California law, homeowners can defend themselves if they are in “imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death,” McDonnell said. Prosecutors will have to determine whether chasing after the suspects and firing on them outside the home goes beyond self-defence.

©2014The Canadian Press

Continue reading California man, 80, says he shot burglar despite pregnancy plea – National

WATCH: ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ trailer thrills fans, upsets morality groups – National

MONTREAL – The first official trailer for the highly anticipated big screen adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey debuted Thursday – and fans of E.L. James’ erotic novels seem to have been left satisfied.

The two-and-a-half-minute trailer, backed by a seductive version of Beyonce’s “Crazy in Love”, gives a sneak peek at the made-in-Vancouver film starring Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey and Dakota Johnson as Anastasia Steele.

Fifty Shades of Grey was directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson and is set for a Valentine’s Day release.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Charlie Hunnam talks about leaving ‘Fifty Shades’

  • Marcia Gay Harden shares secrets about ‘Fifty Shades’ star Jamie Dornan

But while fans showed their excitement on social media, morality groups expressed their outrage.

“Here’s a book and a movie that are really normalizing and even romanticizing BDSM relationships,” Melissa Henson of Parents Television Council told The Hollywood Reporter. “That’s very troubling, especially the way that this romance is presented in the trailer.”

READ MORE: Jamie Dornan one of 10 males stars who modelled underwear

Morality in Media said in a statement the film promotes “abuse of power, female inequality, coercion, and sexual violence.”

According to executive director Dawn Hawkins, “the popularity of Fifty Shades of Grey among women sends a message to men that this is what women really want.”

She added: “Do we really want our sons to become Christian Greys, practicing a violent masculinity that degrades men as well?”

BELOW: Global’s The Morning Show weighs in on the casting of Jamie Dornan in Fifty Shades of Grey.

Take Our Poll

Continue reading WATCH: ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ trailer thrills fans, upsets morality groups – National

The NFL in Toronto? Bon Jovi group exploring stadium sites – Toronto

BUFFALO, N.Y. – A Buffalo Bills prospective ownership group that includes rocker Jon Bon Jovi has conducted a feasibility study into buying the NFL franchise and building a stadium in Toronto, a person close to the situation said.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

The study identified at least three potential stadium sites, two in Toronto, including one on the waterfront, and another in the suburb of Mississauga, the person told The Associated Press on Thursday. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because Bon Jovi and his partners, Larry Tanenbaum and the Rogers family, have not publicly revealed details of their plans to purchase the team.

Andy Bergmann, responsible for overseeing the Bon Jovi group’s stadium plans, confirmed Thursday in an email to the AP that his company has conducted stadium studies, “but nothing related to any specific site.”

“We have undertaken engineering and design studies,” wrote Bergmann, co-founder of Toronto-based Wessex Capital Partners, a growth equity investment firm that specializes in architecture, design and engineering services. “All of our work has been about a generic site and whether it was more rural or urban. We are aware of potential sites in the western NY and southern Ontario region, and are in fact meeting with two Buffalo area developers next week.

“No feasibility studies have been undertaken on any site to date.”

READ MORE: Bon Jovi reportedly part of Toronto group looking to buy Buffalo Bills

Tanenbaum is chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which controls the NBA’s Raptors and NHL’s Maple Leafs. The Rogers family includes Edward Rogers, deputy chairman of Rogers Communications, the Toronto-based communications giant.

The Bills are being sold following the death of Hall of Fame owner Ralph Wilson in March.

Under terms of the team’s lease with the state and county, the Bills – including Wilson’s estate – are not allowed to negotiate with anyone, who to their knowledge, has an intention of relocating the team before the end of the 2022 season, when the lease ends.

The feasibility study was commissioned about 18 months ago and overseen by an investment bank, the person said, adding that one of the stadium construction costs was between $800 million and $900 million.

The Bon Jovi group has not said they would relocate the team, but Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz told the AP on Wednesday that he has no doubt the group’s intentions are to move the Bills to Toronto.

“It is my personal opinion that any bid associated with the Toronto group has a long-term interest in moving the team to Toronto,” Poloncarz said, while attending Bills training camp in suburban Rochester, New York.

Thursday night, New York Lt. Gov. Robert Duffy posted several notes on his 桑拿会所 account and specifically mentioned Bon Jovi in sending a warning to any prospective ownership groups that might have plans of relocating the Bills.

READ MORE: Jon Bon Jovi to be honoured for humanitarian work

“Note to JBJ: You will lose fans/all of WNY- forever. Not worth it,” Duffy said, referring to Bon Jovi and western New York. “Note to prospective owners: BUFFALO Bills. Don’t pick this fight.”

Duffy then referred to a clause in the Bills’ lease that provides the state and county an opportunity to seek court action to block negotiations between the team and any party that has expressed an intention of relocating the team during the lease. If the legal action failed and the Bills relocated during the lease, the state and county would be open to seeking a $400 million penalty as compensation.

“It would be a public relations disaster for any new owner to consider a move- and the 400m hit,” Duffy wrote in a post that included a link to the AP story.

The Bills most recently were valued by Forbes at $870 million. They are projected to be sold for at least $1 billion, partly because NFL teams rarely go on the market.

John Vrooman, a Vanderbilt professor who specializes in sports economics, said feasibility studies are standard practice among prospective ownership groups and there should be no immediate cause for alarm. He said such studies evaluate expected cash flows and best- and worst-case risk factors based on location.

Vrooman projected the Bills to be valued at between $950 million and $1 billion in western New York, and about $1.5 billion if they moved to Toronto and even more in Los Angeles.

The Toronto group is represented by Goldman Sachs, and is one of at least 10 groups to have submitted a nondisclosure agreement form to Morgan Stanley, the banking firm overseeing the Bills sale on behalf of Wilson’s estate.

Among those also listed as returning their forms are Buffalo Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula and New York City real estate mogul Donald Trump.

The next step comes Tuesday.

That’s when prospective bidders must submit to Morgan Stanley what’s called “a first letter of indication,” which includes their initial and non-binding bid to purchase the team, said a person familiar with the sale process. The person spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity because the sale process is private.

The person said the firm will review the bids and determine which prospective groups will be eligible to proceed to the next stage of bidding.

The list of remaining groups allowed to move forward is anticipated to be identified by the end of next week, the person said. Those groups will then be granted further access to the Bills financial date to better determine their bid.

It’s possible that a prospective owner could be identified by as early as late August, and be presented to NFL owners for approval during league meetings in early October.

Continue reading The NFL in Toronto? Bon Jovi group exploring stadium sites – Toronto

Blustery weather across Edmonton and central Alberta

WATCH ABOVE: Global meteorologist Nicola Crosbie’s weather forecast from Friday’s edition of the News Hour. For more info, check out Global Edmonton’s weather page.

EDMONTON – High winds and heavy rain drenched areas across the Capital Region Friday, wreaking havoc on city roads, trees, power lines and resident’s basements.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Edmonton area and parts of Alberta under weather warnings

  • Environment Canada admits to differing standards of weather coverage

  • High winds cancel or divert dozens of flights at Edmonton International Airport

The weather caused flight delays and cancellations at the Edmonton International Airport. As of 2:00 p.m. Friday, approximately 48 flights had been cancelled or diverted. EIA says passengers whose flights have been cancelled should contact their airlines for rebooking.

READ MORE: High winds cancel or divert dozens of flights at EIA 

Margie Balaneski, who lives in the area of 145 Avenue and 96 Street, spent most of the evening vacuuming water out of her basement after area sewer lines backed up into her home.

Balaneski says she has a back water shut off valve, but “it couldn’t hold the pressure that came through the lines.”

This isn’t the first time Balaneski has been forced to clean up following heavy rainfall; in August 2013, she was vacuuming water out of her basement after an intense overnight thunderstorm.

“We experienced the same problem. We have sewer water in the basement and we have been busy… vacuuming it up, taking it out in bucket loads,” she explained Friday night.

“History has repeated itself.”

READ MORE: Flooding in Edmonton following overnight storm

Due to the extreme weather, the Interstellar Rodeo was cancelled Friday night.  Artists that were set to play Friday – or whose flights had been cancelled or delayed – will be moved to Monday.

“Edmontonians are hearty, and not afraid of a little rain,” said producer Shauna de Cartier, “but the high winds and rain make for unsafe conditions and we decided to work on a Plan B.”

Organizers say Corb Lund and the Hurtin’ Albertans, scheduled to perform Friday, will be back Monday night. Saturday and Sunday performances will go ahead as scheduled. All Friday Interstellar Rodeo tickets will be honoured on Monday night.

The wet weather also rained on Taste of Edmonton’s parade Friday night.

But, earlier in the day, some brave souls battled the rain to check out the treats.

“There are no line-ups,” said Amber Durocher.  “You don’t have to push anyone out of your way and the food is just as good.”

Concerts at the K-Days midway went ahead as scheduled Friday night. Northlands staff offered free gate admission after 6 p.m.

The nightly fireworks show was cancelled, though, as the grounds closed following the concerts.

According to Global Meteorologist Nicola Crosbie, a cold low has moved in from Northern B.C., creating major instability across central Alberta.

Rain was falling at a rate of about five mm per hour, which Crosbie says is significant.

The unofficial rainfall amount in west Edmonton is 100 mm, which Crosbie says fell between 11 p.m. Thursday and 5 p.m. Friday. The average rainfall for July is 94 mm, according to Crosbie.

A wind warning was in place for much of the day, but it was dropped by Environment Canada by Friday evening.

Fortunately, this wet and rainy day is not expected to carry on throughout the weekend.

“The good news is the forecast really improves for Saturday,” Crosbie explains. “A strong ridge of high pressure builds in again and temperatures will head into the 30s by Tuesday.”

A few hardy food lovers at the Taste of Edmonton; July 25, 2014

Fletcher Kent, Global News

Flooding near 83 Street and Argyll Road in south Edmonton.
Friday, July 25, 2014.

Dave Carels, Global News

Flooding near 83 Street and Argyll Road in south Edmonton.
Friday, July 25, 2014.

Dave Carels, Global News

Flooding near 83 Street and Argyll Road in south Edmonton.
Friday, July 25, 2014.

Dave Carels, Global News

Workers clearing a downed tree on Rabbit Hill Road, in southwest Edmonton. Friday, July 25, 2014.

Dave Carels, Global News

Workers clearing a downed tree on Rabbit Hill Road, in southwest Edmonton. Friday, July 25, 2014.

Dave Carels, Global News

Downed power lines following a storm in Edmonton; July 25, 2014

Fletcher Kent, Global News

A wet Friday at Interstellar Rodeo; July 25, 2014

Fletcher Kent, Global News

A wet Friday at Interstellar Rodeo; July 25, 2014

Fletcher Kent, Global News

Continue reading Blustery weather across Edmonton and central Alberta

Malkovich, Cumberbatch make Comic-Con debuts – National

ABOVE: Benedict Cumberbatch, Megan Fox, John Malkovich and others talk Comic-Con

SAN DIEGO – John Malkovich and Benedict Cumberbatch each made their Comic-Con debuts — as themselves and as their first animated characters.

The two actors were in San Diego Thursday to offer an early look at DreamWorks Animation’s Penguins of Madagascar, a sequel to 2012’s Madagascar 3.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

They revealed they’d only just met one day earlier. Each did their voice-recording sessions alone in a sound booth while making the film.

“I was really gutted about that, because I was really looking forward to working with the penguins and John,” said Cumberbatch, who drew swoony screams from the audience every time he spoke. “That’s the hardest thing: You don’t have the usual camaraderie which you do in most other mediums.”

He called Malkovich “a legend of acting” and an “extraordinarily brilliant man.”

Cumberbatch plays a wolf in the film — a super spy who runs an organization called the North Wind, which protects animal welfare. The Sherlock star joked that he went undercover to prepare for the role.

“I worked in Yellowstone Park as a wolf for a while,” he said. “It got a bit hairy when, no pun intended, when I became the alpha male.”

Malkovich plays the villain, an evil scientist octopus named Dave, whom Malkovich said looks like his youngest sister.

“She’s going to have to learn about this,” he said. “I didn’t even call her before.”

Hosted by Craig Ferguson — who worked in a few playful jabs at DreamWorks chief Jeffrey Katzenberg — the panel included several clips of the penguins in action, as well as the first six minutes of the new film, which is set to open at U.S. Thanksgiving.

The 90-minute presentation also included a peek at Home, which stars Jim Parsons as a lost alien who befriends a human girl, voiced by Rihanna. The film is set to be released in March 2015.

The studio also announced its newest star-studded effort, B.O.O., which stands for the Bureau of Otherworldly Operations. Featuring the voices of Seth Rogen, Melissa McCarthy and Bill Murray, B.O.O. is set to open next summer.

©2014The Associated Press

Continue reading Malkovich, Cumberbatch make Comic-Con debuts – National